It goes without saying: Black hair is an art. So naturally, adhesives are a part of the journey. Many are surprised to know about the “behind the scenes” action of what goes on to ensure the constant shifting, sliding, and moving is minimal. USA Today discussed the Gorilla Glue hair mishap while highlighting the lack of awareness about Black hair care. For those who may need reminding, we're here to share: wig glue is not the only answer. Adhesives are a must as a layer of security, and many are found in almost every purse or overnight bag. Here are some tips to keep in mind to avoid hair damage:
Bold Home Extreme Creme
This creme takes some time to figure out, but works like a charm once it’s applied properly. It’s known for working well on lace frontals and for not damaging edges with its smooth feel.
Got2B Glued Styling Spiking Glue
This gel can go through it with you while your hair stays the way that you want it to. If products could speak back this one would say, “I’ve got your back”. The ingredients give a strong hold, even during hotter days.
Design Essentials Sleek Max Edge Control
This product is reliable and is perfect for sculpting your hairline. If you’re aiming to achieve “laid baby hair”, start with dry hair and add a dime-size amount of edge control. This product works stronger when using a fine-tooth comb or small brush to perfect your pattern.
Don’t know how to apply adhesives? Here are some tips from Tamika Gibson, Founder of Bold Hold:
- Always be cautious to read and follow manufacturers’ instructions when using any type of hair adhesive glues or gels.
- Always use a skin protectant before applying adhesives to the skin. Skipping this step can cause irritation when your body releases toxins through perspiration.
- When applying adhesives, do so drop-by-drop, apply the second drop where you ended last, and continue all the way around on each side until you feel fully secure in the hold.
- Use a spatula to get the hold flat, or use a clean finger (oil coming from the fingers and interfering with how the adhesive works is a myth!).
- For added hold, tie with a satin scarf or bandana until ready to rock your style.