Natural hair care is more popular than ever, but finding natural ingredients that actually work can be a struggle. However, there’s one effective ingredient hiding in most of our kitchens: honey. Yes, the same stuff that you use to sweeten your tea can also solve many of your hair woes, from dandruff to slow growth.
This sweet ingredient is featured in a ton of hair products, and it’s a common ingredient in DIY recipes as well. That’s because it’s affordable, easy to use, and it works. If you’re having issues with your hair, keep an eye out for products that contain honey – or go straight to the source and whip up some sweet concoctions of your own.
True, your hands might get a bit sticky. Or extremely sticky. But when you see the results, you’ll see why the sweetness of honey is having such a moment.
Here are 7 convincing reasons to add honey to your hair routine.
1. Hair Growth- Believe it or not, honey actually helps your hair grow longer. First, it stimulates hair follicles, boosting hair growth. Second, it prevents your hair from breaking off as easily by strengthening the hair shaft and purifying the scalp. The result is longer, healthier hair.
2. Moisture- Honestly, can a natural-haired girl ever get enough moisture in her life?! Honey is a humectant, meaning that it actually pulls moisture from the air into your hair strands. Not only that, but it also helps lock that moisture into your strands, keeping hair soft all day long. Add a spoonful to your deep conditioner or masques.
3. Cleansing - Honey has natural anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, making it an excellent cleanser. Use it to remove buildup from the scalp and unclog pores, which results in healthier, longer hair overall. Add a boost of honey to your regular shampoo or simply mix honey with water and apply to your scalp.
4. Smooth and Shine- Humidity, dryness, rain, snow – the battle against frizz never ends. Honey physically smooths the hair cuticle, resulting in smoother hair and less frizz. It’s also an emollient, which means that it softens the hair. Look for pomades, souffles, and other styling products with honey in them, and your hair will be silky smooth.
5. Dandruff and Itchy Scalp- Dandruff and itchy scalp are such a pain, especially when you’re wearing a protective style. But honey has natural anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, so it helps to alleviate dandruff and other scalp conditions. At the same time, it heals any redness or scratches caused by an itchy scalp. Again, you can add it to your shampoo or apply diluted honey directly to the scalp.
6. Lightening- Honey has an enzyme called “glucose oxidase” in it, which slowly releases hydrogen peroxide – a chemical that bleaches the hair. So if you want to naturally lighten your hair, try applying a mixture of water and honey once a week. Over time, you’ll notice a gradual, natural-looking lightening effect.
7. Nutrient-Rich – Your hair needs vitamins and minerals to thrive, just like the rest of your body. Many common hair products add these nutrients in the form of synthetic chemicals, but honey is naturally chock full of vitamins and minerals. It also contains antioxidants, which protect your hair from environmental damage and keep your strands fresher-looking for longer.
Have you tried using honey on your hair? How did it work?