With a majority of salons across the country closed down to encourage social distancing to stop the spread of COVID-19, many women of color are struggling to maintain their natural hair without the option of having a protective style. Spring is still springing and now is the perfect time to put some bounce and hydration back into your curls.
Tammy Gardner, an east coast entrepreneur and owner of As The Heads Turn II Salon, provided us with some helpful tips and products that she loves that will make your transition while away from your stylist much easier.
Here are her 5 tips to maintain your natural and healthy hair.
- Remove your protective style (braids, twist, weave). Add on oil to the roots where your build up is and comb it completely out BEFORE you wet your hair to wash. If not, it will mat and tangle and you will lose a lot of hair. Detangle your hair as much as possible before washing.
- Wash your hair to remove as much of the excess build up and odor that occurs from product, oil, dirt, sweat and the environment. Nairobi Exquisite Hydrating Detangling Shampoo is a great option. If you don't feel comfortable washing, co-washing will do. Co-washing is replacing shampoo with a cleansing conditioner. It will allow your hair to maintain its natural moisture levels. Perfect for my naturals! As I Am Coconut Cowash Cleansing Conditioner is a gentle daily cleanser for hair and scalp. It removes residue, adds and preserves moisture, and detangles and rinses easily.
- Condition your hair. Now is the perfect time for a good deep conditioner. I love Nairobi Humecta-Sil Moisture Replenishing Unisex Conditioner. You can add any oil that you may have (olive, avocado, coconut, grape seed, almond) to your conditioner and put a plastic cap on your head and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Rinse and follow with a moisturizer.
- Make sure you are moisturizing and oiling your hair and scalp 1-2 times a week. Avlon Keracare Dry and Itchy Glossifier is a great light oil that can be applied directly to your scalp. Just section your hair with a comb and apply it on your scalp. It has a nice tingly feel and is perfect for those with dryer scalps. Use African Pride Moisture Miracle Shea Butter & Flaxseed Oil Curling Cream to add moisturizer to the hair. You can apply it through your entire head while wet to help hydrate your curls.
- Comb your products through your hair. You can either leave it in its natural curl state or two-strand twist it from there. If you prefer your hair a bit more stretched, you can also do a braid-out. Let it air dry overnight and take it out the following day. Finish with a little Biosilk silk therapy oil. These steps can be followed every other week to help you maintain healthy happy hair during COVID-19.